Friday, September 28, 2007

Congratulations to Satch Krantz!

Palmer "Satch" Krantz is the boss at Riverbanks Zoo, and I just found out he was made the chairman of the whole AZA!!! That's Association of Zoos and Aquariums. All the best zoos and aquariums in the country are members of the AZA. It was founded in 1924. In South Carolina, Riverbanks Zoo is a member. So is the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston.
The image “http://www.riverbanks.org/mediacenter/assets/graphics/execbio_satch.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Satch gave me a tour of the entire zoo when I was four-- behind the scenes, the vet's offices, the aquarium tanks...


...
and inside the elephant house. I was the first kid to see Tumpy, the new elephant.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/622842211_d2fddef9b6_m.jpg
Here is a message I got from Satch the other day to help me celebrate my 50th blog:

Let me first congratulate you on the 50th blog posting on mossyanimals. Believe it or not, we have been following your wonderful blog for the past year or so, since it always contains such interesting and informative postings about Riverbanks Zoo. I am not at all surprised that you have had 40,000 hits.

Riverbanks is proud to be counted among your five favorite zoos. This is particularly noteworthy given your incredible knowledge about zoos and wildlife. The other four zoos on your “top 5” list are wonderful facilities. I am personally fond of the NC State Zoo and the Bronx Zoo.

I am delighted that you are still considering a career in zoos. I know you will find this a highly rewarding experience and look forward to having you join our profession. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you in this exciting endeavor.

Again, congratulations. Keep on posting!

Satch Krantz
Executive Director
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden